Hello, Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO! Here’s everything you need to know to get your Monday off to a good start.
First, today’s weather forecast:
Rather sunny and less cold. Top: 30 Bottom: 21.
Here are today’s top three stories in Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO:
- Based on the most recent data, it appears public school enrollment is down throughout the greater Brooklyn Heights/DUMBO area. There are a few key exceptions including PS 20 in Fort Greene which is actually up 17% and PS 307 in Vinegar Hill which remains relatively stable. (Parents of the Brooklyn Bridge)
- Since the tragic death of Michelle Go, the 42-year-old woman who was pushed into the 42nd Street subway tracks, politicians and transit advocates have been pushing for protective gates on subway platforms. According to an analysis by Patch, platform doors would be feasible at some of the most dangerous stations — including Fulton Street on the A and C trains. Barclay’s Center would not be possible, according to the MTA. (New York City crest)
- Jthere’s a lot going on at the Brooklyn Museum in February. Whether you want to practice your Spanish, make Andy Warhol-inspired art, or talk about fashion and feminism, there’s something for everyone. (Brooklyn Reader)
From our sponsor:
Today Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO Daily is brought to you in part by Newrez, one of the nation’s leading mortgage lenders. Make a smart move for your future and refinance with Newrez today. Call 844-979-1707 to get in touch with a Newrez Loan Officer. Newrez, LLC (NMLS #3013)
Today in Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO:
- Book launch: Sweat, A History of Exercise, by Bill Hayesat Powerhouse Books (7 p.m.)
From my notebook:
- Which New Yorkers love the snow the most? Dogs of course! Watch them play at Cadman Plaza Park. (Instagram)
- The Department of Environmental Protection announced they are delaying the final decision on whether to license a liquefied fractured gas facility at Greenpoint. (Twitter)
- An affordable housing lottery for a downtown Brooklyn high-rise is now open. (Twitter)
More from our sponsors – please support the local news!
Do you like the Brooklyn Heights-DUMBO Daily? Here are all the ways you can get more involved:
You are now in the loop and ready to start this Monday on the right foot. I’ll be in your inbox tomorrow with another update!
— Dashiell Allen